Sunday, October 17, 2010

Done, Done and DONE!

Moving check list...

1. Find renters for our home...CHECK (we found awesome people in just 8 days! I feel really really lucky....oh boy! I'm a landlord now.) 
 2. Find a home to rent in Providence...CHECK
3. Pack, pack, pack...a work in progress
4. Find a new preschool for Lace...this one is being a challenge.
5. Get Hannah into a new elementary school...CHECK
6. Pack some more...getting there
7. Clean our home for renters 
8. Forward mail to new address...CHECK
9. Did I mention PACK?! (if you can't tell, I'm sick of packing. I did it twice last year)...will I EVER be done?
10. Change all of our services to new address (TV, internet, etc...)...CHECK
11. Figure out what to do with our garage shelving, new renters have their own...CHECK

I think I'm making some progress. Two of my biggest stresses are taken care of now and that's a huge relief! Nate likes the fact that we have a rental now, but I'm not too keen on the idea. I've been the one dealing with the loads of calls and showings of our home and you definitely come across some interesting people. 
Examples below....

1. A college student calling...."Um dude, How many guys do you think I could fit in your town home?"

2. A large Samoan family who recently moved here from Hawaii...."I have 6 children then there's me and my husband. I smoke, but I always go out back to hide it from my family. You won't smell it in your home because I do it in secret." (she really was a sweet lady and I liked her, but no to smoking please.)

3. A single lady calling: "Yeah, I'm calling about your home. How many people have called about your home and looked at it?"
Me: "There have been a few."
Single lady: "I asked how many. I want a number."
Me: "There have been a few."
Single lady: "Fine, I tell you what I'm going to do. I will keep your number in my cell phone for now. I will give you a call and contact you when I decide when I want and need to move. So that is what we will do for now." 
Then she hangs up. Um lady...if you give me attitude from the second I answer the phone...don't bother calling back. Not gonna rent to you.

4. Another lady calling.."Hi, I'm calling about your town house for rent. I have your ad in front of me on KSL. How much do you want for it? How many bedrooms? What is the deposit? How many bathrooms? How about the square footage?....etc. Okay, the place isn't for me."
Um, didn't you say you had the add that tells you ALL of that info right in front of you? 
She didn't ask any question that wasn't already answered on the screen right in front of her. 

5. Man calling.."I saw a number. So I called. Can you give me a six month or shorter lease? I'm going through a major divorce and need some where for just a little bit. But it could be longer, but I don't know. I might not know. Take my number. Think about. I have rentals too. Bye."
That was a strange conversation with this man. That is pretty much how our conversation went and I didn't really say more than a couple of words.

6. Old man calling..."I saw your post for your home. It's very beautiful. I think the room above the garage looks like fun. My daughter will call you. She lives with me and also my granddaughter. We need a place to live together. I'm going through a divorce. I'm selling my home in West Jordan. That is where I am living right now. Everything in your house looks great, I really like it. My daughter lives in my basement with her daughter, so I think your house would work. We'll talk to you soon."
This guy just started to tell me his life story. Guess he felt comfortable enough with me on the phone to share.

7. This one was sad, she sounded sad. Woman calling..."I'm calling about your town home. Could you lower the price at all? I was hoping for a nice place for me and my two children, but can only pay such and such amount. My husband just passed away three weeks ago, so things have been hard. Can I come look at it in 1 hour?"
So we set the time for her to come in 1 hour from when she called. I waited and waited for her, but she was a no show. Then I looked out my front window and saw a woman pull up, she glanced around the outside of the home, turned around and drove off. I'm thinking she wasn't pleased with how the place looked or something, I don't know. Maybe she was taking me for a ride with a false story about her husband passing just to get a lower rent payment. Guess I'll never know.

But in the end of the this whole craziness, I found a wonderful young family to live here. This family was music to my ears when I spoke with them and when I met the husband.  They plan on being here for two years or more, so we might not have to worry about finding renters for a while and that suits me just fine. :)

4 comments:

Diana and Fam said...

Wow! I am so glad that you have been able to get the major things out of the way! We are stressed just thinking about having renters! But we will be using a management company so we don't have to stress and they can deal with finding normal people! Your stories were just too funny! Good luck and hang in there. Put on some fun music and tell yourself you get a reward when you finish a room! :)

melbel said...

Sheesh, that list makes ME tired! But look at everything you've already done!? So glad things are working out for you guys and your new place sounds like a dream! Must be meant to be!

Laura W. said...

What a whirlwind! What funny people. :) Congrats on the new adventures!

Krista said...

So happy you found good renters and checked that off your list!