Sunday, July 24, 2011

Firework Battle Wound

Pioneer Day celebration + fun = fireworks
Firework + defect = nasty burn on the back of my leg

Our night went like this....

Lacey is afraid of fireworks, but this is the first year where she has decided she wants to be outside.
So we situate our selves back up against the house. Away from everyone else and the fireworks.

We are having fun watching the fireworks and enjoying some yummy popcorn. Then I realize a big red flash is coming at me. It's heading straight for Lacey, who is on my lap. I literally throw her and the bowl of popcorn to the side. I start to feel an awful burning sensation on the back of my right leg and my right elbow.
Hmmm....was I really just hit by a firework? More burning starts to set in. YEP! I sure was.

Lacey is screaming hysterically and everyone thought she was burnt. Her blanket ended up getting a little burnt, luckily not Lacey. But oh boy, was Lacey upset when she saw her blanket. You would've thought someone had died. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I hadn't thrown Lacey out of the way. She just might have gone into shock if she had been burnt with how hysterical she tends to get.

Now I'm inside my in-laws house and I have Nate and his Dad determining the damage of my leg. It's covered with this hot white powder as was the lawn chair I was sitting in.
They doctored me up and I camped out laying on my stomach on the floor for the rest of the evening. (due to it was pretty painful to bend my knee or have any pressure on the back of my leg.) Lacey came in at one point and asked..."Is the fire making Momma dead now? I don't want her dead." Ah...thanks Lace. :)

Hannah's blanket ended up catching on fire a little bit and a nice hole was burnt. She's quite upset about it. It's one of her favorite blankets from my Mom- a Halloween one. Crazy thing though, Hannah's blanket wasn't anywhere near me and Lacey. It was on the opposite end of the lawn. Apparently the malfunctioning firework spewed off in 3 different directions. We're lucky no one else got hit. It could have been a lot worse.

Needless to say, I think this was the straw that broke the camel's back for Lacey ever liking fireworks. Yep, that oughta do it!

Now the back of my leg looks so lovely and it's so fun to try and bend it with a wonderful burning and aching sensation. 

We'll mark this one down in our Fun Summer Adventure of 2011 book!! Good times.


5 comments:

Mich said...

Ouch! Sorry, I can't believe that happened. I'm not too sure about these new aerial fireworks- I've heard of a few doing that.

fauxy said...

That looks bad! Hope it doesn't blister and get worse:(

derekandjulie said...

Oh man Steph! That is terrible. I hope you get feeling better soon.

Krista said...

Oh my gosh! So sorry and sorry for Lacey with the trauma of it all. What in the world are the chances that it would go toward Lacey who doesn't like them!

melbel said...

Yikes! That must have been one painful week afterwards in such a tender area!

Hopefully no one is too traumatized for next year (you included). That's scary!