Sorry, no pictures for this post. I really didn't think anyone would appreciate me putting photos on here of something that would turn your stomach and make you want to throw up. But here is my adventure of the day below.
Picture this if you will......
It's around noon and I'm getting my glasses fixed at Shopko Optical. Hannah and Lacey are sitting quietly in the shopping cart. Then I hear a faint dry-heaving sound and then a gush of what I thought was water coming from somewhere. I turn around and see my dear little Hannah throwing up all over herself, the shopping cart, Lacey's coat and on the carpeted floor. (big 'ol sigh and a tiny bit of gagging on my part.)
I grab a paper towel that the very sweet Shopko Optical assistant handed me and run over to Hannah. Lacey is looking at this and gagging from watching Hannah lose everything she has in her stomach. And then Hannah starts to cry and that makes Lacey start to cry. (It is kinda cute when siblings cry for each other.) So I start trying to clean everything up when Hannah starts to lose it again and this time, all over my arm.... Lovely.
As all of this is taking place, many holiday shoppers stopped dead in their tracks to STARE at my situation. And it wasn't a stare that said "Oh, I feel so bad for this lady with the child throwing up." It was more like a stare that said "How disgusting. I can't believe this child is throwing up, but for some reason I can't stop looking." Seriously people! Can you please continue on your way? Do you honestly find the sight of a mother trying to make the best of this incident and cleaning this mess up entertaining? What nerve some people have....sheesh!
And all joking aside, these shoppers stood there for at least 5 minutes while I tried to contain everything. And I even looked up at them a couple of times and stared and they still didn't budge. I almost wanted to shout out, "Hey, if your so enthralled with the happenings of my child that you can't stop looking at us, why don't you come over and give me a hand?" But I don't think I would have enough nerve to say that.
Okay, now that I have gotten my tid-bit of annoyance and frustration out....back to my story.
The very helpful assistant was a blessing during my ordeal! She took me to a back room with a sink and provided me with plenty of towels to help clean Hannah and myself up. I told her that once I had this mess contained, I would come up front and clean her carpeted area. But to my surprise she had already taken care of it! What a wonderful person she was for doing that for a total stranger. I honestly don't know if I would've done that for someone else without throwing up myself.
She was a SAINT!
Thank you, thank you, thank you Shopko Optical lady!
(Is it terrible of me that I didn't even take the time out to see what her name was on her name tag?) I should send her a bouquet of flowers for helping out a mother in need on a very snowy day.
So now we are at home. Hannah can be found snuggled on the couch under blankets, looking as white as a ghost, bucket in hand and tiny tears coming down her cheek. Every few minutes she says, "Mommy, my tummy is achy and it's not fun for Hannah." Poor babe. :(
I guess it was only inevitable that she got it. Lacey and I had the wonderful experience of this last week and over the weekend. I think I am done with being sick and having my family sick.
So my question to all of you is...Do you stop and stare?
I admit, when a kid is throwing a fit and screaming loudly in a store I do glance over. But I don't lose focus of what I am shopping for and just stare with my mouth open wide. I think I have a little more tact than that.
Well, I must go tend to my sick little girl. I wish I could be sick for her.
Hope this post finds all of you well for the Holidays. Have a good day. It sure does look like a White Christmas out there. :)
11 comments:
I know that is really sad but I am totally laughing right now. You kill me! I love that you talk about the lovely Shopko lady. That is too funny. I hope Hannah is feeling better. It is a hard decision if you stop or stare. At school, I would stop but I don't know about public places. Maybe, handing someone paper towels or getting help. Check out my blog. it is just for you!
Awww, poor Hannah. I wish things like that would only happen at home, on tile/linoleum if not directly above the toilet. Dang...
yes...I stare but only for a pity moment. Then I think, thank goodness that's not me!
But then don't you worry something happens to me with my kids too where I feel hopeless...like losing a child and having to call security or both children being totally obnoxious and crying and we should leave the store immediately but I still have to pay...the list continues. So hopefully you were getting pity stares. Hannah get better soon.
Ohh, poor sweetie! I hate when kids are sick and you just can't make it better fast enough for them. (Or hurt, for that matter.)
You should totally call or write to Shopko Optical and tell that lady's manager how great her customer service was. That's awesome that she helped out so much!
Oh my my! That's like a nightmare you never want to deal with! Sorry no one else was helpful. Hopefully everyone's on the mend!
To answer your question, I had my eye on the D90 because it does movies too. But then logic settled and I've decided on the Nikon D60. Jesse's taking our little point-and-shoot to Iraq, so now we're seriously looking into getting it for me. Then I decided while he's gone, I might as well do something for myself and take some photography classes. I just need a decent camera that takes good indoor pictures (all my indoor pictures I've taken are HORRIBLE, if you haven't noticed) and it's something I've been interested in for awhile.
So the Nikon 300? Are you going to do it professionally? That's awesome! I hope you get it soon!
No, I don't stare. I start heaving with the little girls... :O
Happy late birthday to you!!! wahoo!!!
Yes, I did laugh when reading this to my kids, but I feel really bad for Hannah. It's so hard to understand when their bodies are hurting.
I had an experience like this, and I did cry, a lot. Alexis gets motion sick and on our trip home from DisneyLand, right as we got into the Salt Lake Valley we hit turbulence. You can guess what happened. No clothes, nothing. People were making rude comments (we are in a tiny plane people, we can hear you!) and Alexis turns to me, tears filling her eyes "Momma, they are laughing at me." I lost it. I started crying, my own sister walked by as though she didn't even know us. I had to carry Alexis through the airport in her underwear, wrapped in only a tiny blanket until we found our luggage. Not a good thing!
I would have helped you. Remember that story of President Hinkley and the poor pregnant mother pushing her toddler across the floor with her foot? If not, ask me and I'll tell it to you!
Ohhh..that would be aweful! Kids can have the worst timing for things like that sometimes, don't they? To answer your question I'd probably glance over and then keep walking...I hope I wouldnt stop and stare!
Oh sweetheart I am so sorry! That is no fun at all :( I hope she feels better soon and fast. I have a hard time with throw up and I would be trying really hard to not lose it as I hurriedly walked by. I would want to help but know that I would lose it too. I would just take great pleasure in knowing the you grossed those people out! How rube of them!
Poor baby! I know what you mean. I don't understand people. At least there are wonderful people out there that do lend a hand to someone in need! I hope you all get feeling better soon! We don't want sick kids on Christmas!!
Post a Comment