Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tugging At My Heart Strings....

I was sitting here today on the couch and Hannah and Lacey were happily playing. All of the sudden Hannah comes up to me and says the following....

H- "Mom?"

Me- "Yes?"

H- "I'm going to be really sad when I go up to Heavenly Father next year." (then she bursts into tears and while sobbing she continues) "I'm going to really miss you and be sad without you."

**Then she starts to cry uncontrollably.
I stop what I am doing, go over to her and pick her up. I've never seen her cry like this. So then our conversation continues....

Me- "Honey, why do you think you are going up to Heavenly Father next year?"

H- (stuttering her words and trying to get it out because she can't stop crying) "Be-be-be-because I had a not very good dream last night that I had to go up to Heavenly Father next year without you and I don't want to leave. You had to stay here and I had to go away. "

Me- (trying to contain my tears because this was tugging at my heart strings) "Hannah, you will never leave me. You are going to stay here with me forever, okay? I promise you that."

H- "O-o-o-kay." (then she cradles her wet face into me and tears keep coming down her little cheeks. I sit and hold her for about 10 minutes.)

Seriously- I couldn't help but cry either. I don't think that is really something a Mother wants to hear from her 5 year old that she is going to leave and go with Heavenly Father. I never even want to have to think about losing a child. Poor Hannah, she was quite upset about this. She's calmed down since but keeps saying every so often.."Mom, I'm going to stay with you forever, right? You promised me."

She is so sweet. But lets just hope she doesn't have any more dreams of going up to Heaven any time soon. :)

9 comments:

Nella said...

Wow, nobody wants to hear that from their kid for sure! Way to keep you cool though and reassure her.
So in answer to your question, we live in Eagle Mountain in the Ranches. We love our little neighborhood because our houses are a bit different than the other neighborhoods around us. Always love to be different.

Tiff said...

Oh my! That made me tear up, too. How nice to at least have a gospel perspective to comfort her, but still... poor kid.

Diana and Fam said...

Poor Hannah and Poor you! What a dream that must have been. You are such a good Mom. I love how the gospel helps us live day to day.

Anonymous said...

I remember feeling like that as a child...terrified that I would have to leave my mom. Now its the other way around...terrified that I can't be with my children! Poor thing, its nice to have some good cuddle time.

Krista said...

I read this yesterday and I've been thinking about it. That would be so crazy to hear about her dream and a little freaky. I sympathize with you with that one because it is a very grown up concern and that is hard to answer (at least for me).

Julie said...

Sorry for poor Hannah but beware Steph about our family and five year olds. Ask if you want to know more.

melbel said...

Poor little tenderhearted girl! And so unexpected to have to comfort your 5 year old from fears like that! Sometimes cuddles and hugs are the best answers.

Katy said...

Wow. That is hard. No one wants to hear that! I am glad that you both handled it so well though!

Jen said...

so sad! But it's so cute too! Malia has made comments like that too and what do you tell them? They are too little to understand so it's really hard. Poor thing!