Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Getting Ready



Next week is kindergarten registration for Lacey. I'm kind of having a hard time with the fact that in four months she'll be 5 and off to elementary school this fall. I still consider Lacey my baby, but she's not anymore and I keep wishing time to stop and reverse. Anyone figure that one out yet? If you have, please do tell.

So in light of registration next week, I knew the dreaded well check and kindergarten shots were inevitable. Off to the doctor we went this morning and Lacey was actually excited to go, which is not like her.
Now for those of you who know Lacey well, she worries and worries about things and will not let it go. It's best to tell her about something a few minutes before it's happening otherwise her anxiety sets in and she gets upset, frustrated, sad, emotional, angry, excited, giddy (depending upon the event) and all sorts of other things.  So, that is the exact reason I did not tell her about the 4 shots she would have to get today. 
We go through the appointment happily and she even gives me a big hug and says, "Thanks for the doctor today mom. It's so fun and I'm healthy. You plan fun things."
GREAT! Now I'm about ready to inflict pain upon her little thighs. I highly doubt she will think I plan fun things anymore.
 The first shot was a shock to her and her eyes widened and then it was sobbing from there on out. She looked at me with those wide blue eyes that were screaming to me..."Why Mom? Why?" 
After we were done she turns to me and says..."Why you not tell me they will hurt me if I come? This makes me frustrated with you."
I knew I would be in for it the rest of day because she holds onto things and constantly reminds herself about it. I think she's already asked me about 20 times if I will ever make her get shots again and she's made herself think about it and cried a few more times already. 
She's walking around right now favoring her legs and says that she can't walk normal because of her shots. :)

We stopped at Walmart and I let her pick out a toy to help her feel better. She chose yet ANOTHER Barbie. I think this makes a grand total of 30 Barbies that call Lacey's room home now. 

Well, at least my girls won't need any more shots until the seventh grade. That gives me 5 years for Hannah and 7 for Lacey before I have to be the mean Mom again.

Just for my records: Lacey is in the 19th percentile for her weight and 50th for height. She did okay, but not the best on the eye exam, had some concerns about her vision and her left eye is a bit lazy for which we need to see an optometrist now.

**update to this post- Lacey has been an emotional basket-case ALL DAY LONG. She has cried numerous times, has constantly worried about ever returning to the doctor again, wouldn't go to the bathroom all day because she thought it would make her shot "wounds" hurt, refused to get in the bath because she thinks water will make her cry, gotten mad about walking because her legs got hurt from the doctor and makes her not walk anymore and many other things.
 To say the least, I am done with today! I love her to death, but I am one worn out Mom and cannot take anymore fits or crying today. The emotions that this girl has can be very trying on me. Good thing I can also stop for a second and have a little laugh about the HUGE personality that my little Lacey holds. 

8 comments:

Diana and Fam said...

Oh that is so cute! Sorry I can't help but smile and laugh with what she said to you. I can't believe that she will be going to kindergarten! Wow, time really does fly.

Tiff said...

We can't win! I took the opposite approach with McKenzie - I told her all about the shots and how it would be over soon, help her stay healthy, blah blah blah. She was terrified and was crying before the nurse even touched her. She got over the physical pain very quickly, but for months would still complain about how awful that was.

Debbie said...

Are you sure she isn't turning 16? To make yoy feel better I think my husband acted the same way when he had to have shots. It was worse then death.

Laura W said...

Ooohh goodness, she and my Ariana are dramatic little darlings in small packages. I think I've said this before, but they should not meet and play. :) Much drama, hee hee. We just had the kgarten shots, too. Oi. Poor li'l monkeys.

Krista said...

Oh...I'm sorry that I laughed with your update. Did you get a special treat for having to take Lacey? I think you deserve one.

htasker said...

What are you going to do with your time now that both kids are going to be at school? I love that she has a BIG personality. She will love reading about it when she's older.

htasker said...

What are you going to do with your time now that both kids are going to be at school? I love that she has a BIG personality. She will love reading about it when she's older.

Becky said...

Whew! I should really praise Wyatt more for the NO TEARS flu shot. He's so brave.....

And poor Lacey. I hope the nightmares about needles stop soon. :)